The History of Lakewood Christian Fellowship
Lakewood Christian Fellowship has a long and colorful history. In 1918 a communique was sent from Wheatridge to Nyack, New York, the home of A.B. Simpson (the founder of The Christian and Missionary Alliance). The communique requested the planting of a Christian and Missionary Alliance church in Denver. In response to that communique, Rev. William and Mrs. Mary Gillies came from Turtle Creek, Pennsylvania. The church (“The Denver Gospel Tabernacle”) had its beginning in the inner city of Denver, and its first meeting place was located at 8th & Kalamath. Rev. Gillies left quite a legacy, serving the church for thirty-eight years. The church was aggressive in evangelism, employing methods such as street preaching and singing.
In 1960 the church (renamed “First Alliance Church of Denver”) moved to its present location in Lakewood (25 S. Newland St.). At that time there was nothing but open fields to the west of the building. The church experienced steady growth, and in the late 1960’s the average Sunday attendance approached 200 parishioners. By the mid-1980’s the church was struggling, in both attendance and resources. With the help of a new pastor the church made some critical decisions, which inevitably led to a slow, but steady resurgence. In the early 1990’s the church began regular outreach to the neighborhood which had grown up around the building. A recent highlight has been the partnering with two other neighborhood churches in prayer, outreach, a proposed Christmas Eve Service, and more. Prayer and leadership development have become priorities for this local church.